Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday 1 August 2008

Award-winning joiner starts up own business


here is my press release...

A talented North East joiner has started up his own business after being made redundant from a large new house builder company.

The credit crunch has seen thousands of tradesmen lose their jobs in the region over the past couple of months. But when award-winning joiner, Darren Atkinson, from Stanley in Durham, was given his notice last week he saw it as the perfect opportunity to fulfil a life-long ambition and start his own business.

“I have been a joiner for over 20 years now, and have worked for most of the house-building companies in the North East of England. However, I have always wanted to work for myself and being made redundant has given me the spur to start my own joinery business.

Darren has called the business DPA Joinery Services, after his initials – Darren Paul Atkinson, and he undertakes all aspects of internal and external joinery including floors and ceilings, door and window frames, and bathrooms and kitchens.

“In these challenging times we all know that most people are shying away from buying a new house, and are deciding to improve or restore their existing properties instead. I am confident that this is a trend that I can build on, and have already secured a number of contracts centred on home improvements and restoration. This includes restoring a 19th century house to its full former glory, and making bespoke door and window frames.”

Darren has won two awards for his work – one when a student at college and the other for the National House Builders Council. He said: “Providing a high-quality service at reasonable rates is my top priority. It is well-documented that many householders do not trust trades people at all and as high as one in nine find having building work carried out is a stressful experience. As a homeowner I have total empathy with this concern, and as an award-winning joiner I am passionate about the craft and quality without compromise is my motto.”

“Longer-term I will be looking to take on an apprentice to train and pass on all my joinery knowledge and skills, and ideally partner up with other trades to take on bigger contracts.”


No comments: